[webkit-dev] Moving WTF out of JavaScriptCore

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Thu Dec 23 13:32:12 PST 2010

On Dec 22, 2010, at 12:06 PM, Adam Barth wrote:

> [Forking the thread]
>
> On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 10:40 AM, Mark Rowe <mrowe at apple.com> wrote:
>> On 2010-12-22, at 10:34, Adam Barth wrote:
>>> As an aside, would creating the Sources directory make it easier to
>>> move WTF out of JavaScriptCore?
>>
>> I don't think that the location of the source on disk is a big factor in
>> WTF's presence in JavaScriptCore.
>
> Oh, I thought the main involved in creating a new top-level source
> directory was the main thing causing WTF to live inside
> JavaScriptCore.  I know we've talked about moving it out of
> JavaScriptCore for a while now.  Is that just a matter of someone
> (e.g., me) doing the work or are there other limiting factors?

If we switch to a top-level Sources directory, and on the Apple-internal side switch to submitting WebKit to the OS build using this single top-level sources directory, then it's easy to make new top-level directories without disrupting anything.

If we don't do the above, we'd have to set things up so we can submit WTF separately to the build to cope, and we'd need to make it build a static library and install private headers.

So I think it is easier to make this change if we do the Sources/ change first.

Regards,
Maciej