[webkit-dev] We released Firebug 1.6.0 with console.table(), time for Web Inspector?

Kenneth Russell kbr at google.com
Wed Dec 8 17:04:48 PST 2010

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 4:56 PM, Steven Roussey <sroussey at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ken!
>
>> I would suggest manually finding qualified reviewers for the patch,
>
> I think it stalled since it was reviewed, but it needed some sort of
> API discussion on this list. At this point, such discussion is too
> late and compatibility with Firebug is more important. That said,
> while the semantics of the API are not really up for discussion
> anymore, the decision on whether to include it or not is still valid.
>
> So from what I can tell (please correct me!), is that it can't go
> forward without review in this list, as said by web inspector
> reviewers. So there is catch-22 here if everyone points at everyone
> else. :)
>
> Admittedly, I did promise to gather some data to standardize the
> console at the W3C, and haven't gotten around to it. Is that a
> preferred way forward?

Don't take my advice as authoritative, but if Firebug is already
implementing it and developers or utility libraries are already using
it for debugging, I think getting this change into WebKit in parallel
to standardizing the new API with the W3C would be fine. Otherwise the
implementation is going to stall for a long time.

Again, I think finding a couple of reviewers experienced with the
inspector code, and asking them privately if they can review it, is
the way to go. (I think they're already CC'd on the report.) Or post
an update to the bug asking the CC'd individuals for review again.

-Ken