[webkit-dev] ANGLE

Chris Marrin cmarrin at apple.com
Mon Aug 16 14:43:25 PDT 2010

On Aug 16, 2010, at 2:21 PM, David Hyatt wrote:

> On Aug 14, 2010, at 10:26 PM, Darin Fisher wrote:

>> > ANGLE is a library from Google (http://code.google.com/p/angleproject/)
>> > which is mirrored in the WebKit tree for convenience. Since it's not
>> > actually part of WebKit, it was felt that keeping it the root was best.
>> >

>> /3rdparty/ANGLE would be more straightforward in my opinion. Having this
>> in the root is deceptive, personally I did not realized that it is a
>> mirrored tree before your explantation.
>>

>> I'm surprised it isn't pulled as a .zip like the other third-party libraries (like icu, libxml, etc.) through the update-webkit script.
>
> Agreed.  This is how I'd expect it to work.  I don't understand why it's checked into WebKit.  Now we're even building it as part of the build process, which I just don't understand.  Are we having to alter the ANGLE source in the  WebKit tree?  That's the only reason I can think of why we would have a copy of the source checked in like this.

I'm not familiar with what update-webkit does. But the only reason ANGLE is in the root is because a couple of people here said that was the best way to do it. ANGLE is a pretty new project and it doesn't look to me like they are producing .zip files yet. I'd hate to use TOT because that could introduce instability at random times. We were originally going to just put a .a in the tree but someone (maybe Maciej?) thought that was a bad idea.

There are many things we can do:

1) Leave it as is
2) Move the source to a better subdir
3) Check angle.a into WebKit and get rid of the source
4) Checkout ANGLE from its source repo and build it

I don't have any preference, except that if we choose option 4 we make sure to get a known rev to avoid instability

-----
~Chris
cmarrin at apple.com