[webkit-dev] ANGLE

David Hyatt hyatt at apple.com
Mon Aug 16 14:21:43 PDT 2010

On Aug 14, 2010, at 10:26 PM, Darin Fisher wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 4:21 PM, <kb at inf.u-szeged.hu> wrote:
> >
> > On Aug 13, 2010, at 4:25 AM, Zoltan Herczeg wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> ANGLE looks like a graphics helper library. Why it is placed in the root
> >> WebKit directory? Perhaps WebCore/platform/graphics or some kind of
> >> /3rparty directory would be better, wouldn't it?
> >
> > ANGLE is a library from Google (http://code.google.com/p/angleproject/)
> > which is mirrored in the WebKit tree for convenience. Since it's not
> > actually part of WebKit, it was felt that keeping it the root was best.
> >

> /3rdparty/ANGLE would be more straightforward in my opinion. Having this
> in the root is deceptive, personally I did not realized that it is a
> mirrored tree before your explantation.
>

> I'm surprised it isn't pulled as a .zip like the other third-party libraries (like icu, libxml, etc.) through the update-webkit script.

Agreed.  This is how I'd expect it to work.  I don't understand why it's checked into WebKit.  Now we're even building it as part of the build process, which I just don't understand.  Are we having to alter the ANGLE source in the  WebKit tree?  That's the only reason I can think of why we would have a copy of the source checked in like this.

dave
(hyatt at apple.com)