[webkit-dev] attach/detach or insertedIntoDocument/removedFromDocument

Sergiy Byelozyorov rryk at graphics.cs.uni-sb.de
Tue Apr 27 03:59:49 PDT 2010

Hello,

I am implementing XML3D <http://www.xml3d.org/> format into WebKit. I have a
number of new elements that I have added to a separate namespace. Root
element is <xml3d> and it's the only one who has a renderer. Every child
that is attached to the subtree of this element should notify parent element
about itself and register themselves with this renderer. I need to have a
function that I can override to perform this initialization. My
implementation uses third party library for rendering and requires me to
have a single renderer to render the whole scene, therefore I can't split
renderer into many subrenderers for each node. Moreover, 3D scenes do not
follow box model and rendering of single node often requires to interact
with other elements in the scene (e.g. for ray tracing) thus storing the
entire scene in the single data-structure is more effective.

To perform the registration with the parent renderer I have tried using
insertedIntoDocument/removedFromDocument, but they result in overhead when I
am attaching element to a tree which is not rendered at all (such as loaded
by Ajax). Then I switched to attach/detach but these are called many times,
i.e. every node gets attached, detached, attached again etc. while loading
the document, which still causes the overhead. Is there any set of functions
that would allow me to know when I am attached to the subtree and that tree
should be rendered?

Thank you in advance,
Sergiy