[webkit-dev] CMake as a build system?

Darin Fisher darin at chromium.org
Fri Apr 23 00:54:02 PDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Peter Kasting <pkasting at google.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 1:26 AM, Patrick Roland Gansterer <
> paroga at paroga.com> wrote:
>
>> Bradley Nelson:
>> > 1. Ability to incrementally transition on Windows. It took us about 6
>> >  months to switch fully to gyp. Previous attempts to move to scons had
>> >  taken a long time and failed, due to the requirement to transition
>> while
>> >  in flight. For a substantial period of time, we had a hybrid of checked
>> in
>> >  vcproj and gyp generated
>> CMake should be treated like a separate buildsystem like qmake or gyp
>> during a
>> possible switch.
>>

> The point was that we wanted to be able to switch over in a gradual
> fashion, not by constructing a complete, functional parallel build system
> and then "throwing the switch".
>
> If you take a look in the current vcprojs you can't understand them more
>> easy
>> than compared to CMake IMHO.
>> Anyway: How often do you look at these settings? I use the IDE only for
>> writing code and debugging. I do all my buildsystem changes directly in
>> the
>> CMake files. If i see the source files in the IDE I'm already happy. Do
>> you
>> have other requirements?
>>

> AIUI, readability isn't the issue, it's the ability for e.g. Visual Studio
> to correctly understand dependencies itself so that incremental builds from
> inside the IDE (which is where most Windows Chromium developers do their
> builds) work correctly and are as fast as possible (e.g. the null build
> should take close to zero time and not have to rerun steps or relink
> executables).

Indeed.  It also allows features like Ctrl+F7 (compile only the current
source file) to work.  A number of other common IDE features are lost if you
use a makefile based vcproj.  GYP nicely preserves all of those great IDE
features, which to me is one of the main selling points as an end-user.

-Darin