[webkit-dev] CMake as a build system?

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Fri Apr 16 18:45:36 PDT 2010

On Apr 16, 2010, at 5:50 PM, Bill Hoffman wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 6:38 PM, Peter Kasting <pkasting at google.com>
> wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm curious if the Chromium folks who created Gyp had any specific
>>> reason
>>> that they ruled out CMake as an option. (I have heard that it was
>>> considered
>>> and rejected.)
>>

> I belive I can answer that.  During my talk at google, I met with with
> Mark Mentovai and talked to him about Gyp and CMake.  The main thing
> that he was trying to avoid was the requirement that CMake be
> installed for the build.  That is true, CMake does have to be
> installed.  However, CMake is installed on more an more systems.   The
> cmake.org site has about 2K downloads per day, and most linux distros
> include CMake.   With KDE using CMake, it has become pretty easy to
> get.   Apple is also using CMake for the LLVM project, so it should be
> installed and accepted at Apple.  I worked with Doug Gregor of the
> LLVM team to help him convince the Apple testing folks to allow for
> CMake to be installed.

FWIW, I don't have CMake installed, and I have everything a typical
Apple developer would have and then some. I'm running SnowLeopard and
the latest Xcode. CMake is also not installed by default on Windows
and I am not sure if it comes with the cygwin distribution we use.

When you say "installed", does that mean it *has* to be in some system
location? Could it be "installed" somewhere in the WebKit build tree?
Our scripts download certain needed tools and libraries by default, so
at least from the WebKit POV this is not necessarily a showstopper.

Also: how hard is the dependency on being "installed"? Is this a
solvable problem if it turns out to be a showstopper for some folks?

And finally, I'd still like to hear from the Chromium folks whether
there were any other issues. This one seems fairly minor.

Regards,
Maciej