[webkit-dev] CMake as a build system?

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Fri Apr 16 17:50:37 PDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 6:38 PM, Peter Kasting <pkasting at google.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm curious if the Chromium folks who created Gyp had any specific reason
>> that they ruled out CMake as an option. (I have heard that it was considered
>> and rejected.)

I belive I can answer that.  During my talk at google, I met with with
Mark Mentovai and talked to him about Gyp and CMake.  The main thing
that he was trying to avoid was the requirement that CMake be
installed for the build.  That is true, CMake does have to be
installed.  However, CMake is installed on more an more systems.   The
cmake.org site has about 2K downloads per day, and most linux distros
include CMake.   With KDE using CMake, it has become pretty easy to
get.   Apple is also using CMake for the LLVM project, so it should be
installed and accepted at Apple.  I worked with Doug Gregor of the
LLVM team to help him convince the Apple testing folks to allow for
CMake to be installed.

-Bill