[webkit-dev] Git meeting notes

Holger Freyther zecke at selfish.org
Mon Apr 12 22:44:47 PDT 2010

On Tuesday 13 April 2010 06:32:24 Alexey Proskuryakov wrote:
> I can't tell from documentation if git-bisect requires rebuilding each
> revision. This is something we don't currently have to do, given that
> there are nightlies to test with.

> But my question was somewhat different (Dave Kilzer told me about git
> bisect earlier today). How can I tell if a given nightly build includes
> changes made in a certain commit?

If Mark would add tags for the nightlies one could type "git tag --
contains=COMMIT" to figure out which tags include the version.

Regarding the monotonic number there are two things that I have used at
different projects.

One is to use "git describe" which contains a mix of the commit-id, number of
commits since the last tag. The example output from a different project would
be "on-waves/0.3.96-8-ga4ebb46". It tells me the tag name, that I've 8 commits
more than in the tag and the commit id of the eights commit.

The other option is, when assuming to never rebase the master, we can type git
log --pretty=oneline | wc -l and we will end up with an increasing number.