[webkit-dev] The green tree era

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Sun Apr 4 23:53:16 PDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 4:30 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:
> On Apr 4, 2010, at 8:12 AM, Adam Barth wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 11:30 PM, Darin Adler <darin at apple.com> wrote:
> On Apr 3, 2010, at 10:36 AM, Adam Barth wrote:
> Keeping the tree green will require a cultural shift in the project, but I
> think the near term costs of changing the culture are outweighed by the long
> term gains in productivity.
>
> Typically a cultural shift would come after some sort of group discussion,
> rather than being announced on the mailing list as a fait accompli.
>
> We've been discussing this on the mailing list for a while.
>
> To comment on the below: I think sheriffbot partly fulfills my request for
> better notification (there's still no email notification) but not my request
> to have a human being in charge of maintaining greenness for each port. I
> will see if I can recruit somebody to be the (human) sheriff for Apple's
> ports.

Yes, sheriffbot isn't a complete solution.  Humans are needed to make
judgement calls about the right way to proceed.  (We can certainly add
direct emails if IRC and bug comments aren't noisy enough.)

> That being said, I think Darin's objection was not to the sheriffbot tool,
> but rather to declaring that based on it we now need to have a culture
> shift. I think that may have just been a case of infelicitous word choice. A
> better way to frame it would have been: "We now have this additional tool.
> Let's figure out how to make good use of it. Here are some ideas for how we
> could do that."

I think Darin and I had a miscommunication.  What I meant is that
sheriffbot alone can't magically keep the tree green.  To keep the
tree green, we'll also need a cultural shift.  I think a green tree
will be beneficial to the project for the reasons I outline in my
email.

Adam