[webkit-dev] The green tree era

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Sun Apr 4 16:30:42 PDT 2010

On Apr 4, 2010, at 8:12 AM, Adam Barth wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 11:30 PM, Darin Adler <darin at apple.com> wrote:
>> On Apr 3, 2010, at 10:36 AM, Adam Barth wrote:
>>> Keeping the tree green will require a cultural shift in the
>>> project, but I think the near term costs of changing the culture
>>> are outweighed by the long term gains in productivity.
>>
>> Typically a cultural shift would come after some sort of group
>> discussion, rather than being announced on the mailing list as a
>> fait accompli.
>
> We've been discussing this on the mailing list for a while.

To comment on the below: I think sheriffbot partly fulfills my request
for better notification (there's still no email notification) but not
my request to have a human being in charge of maintaining greenness
for each port. I will see if I can recruit somebody to be the (human)
sheriff for Apple's ports.

That being said, I think Darin's objection was not to the sheriffbot
tool, but rather to declaring that based on it we now need to have a
culture shift. I think that may have just been a case of infelicitous
word choice. A better way to frame it would have been: "We now have
this additional tool. Let's figure out how to make good use of it.
Here are some ideas for how we could do that."

Regards,
Maciej