[webkit-dev] Attaching Additional Semantics to Markup

Alex Milowski alex at milowski.org
Tue Sep 15 22:55:57 PDT 2009

I'm curious to see if there is someway an "plugin" or "extension" can be
added to a WebKit-based browser to add additional semantics for certain
content without going over to the "browser host" side of things?

For example, I'd like users to be able to install an "add on" that augments
the browser and "reads" MathML to the user using the native TTS engine on the
platform.  This isn't a plugin in the traditional sense as WebCore is
doing the actual rendering of the content.

I've looked at Chrome extensions but that seems to be at a higher level.  What
I want to do is add semantics associated with a certain kind of markup.  Think
of it as a "speak Math" service.

Any ideas?

--
--Alex Milowski