[webkit-dev] Javascript and WebCore

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Sun Oct 25 17:52:44 PDT 2009

On Oct 25, 2009, at 4:30 PM, Alexander Cohen wrote:

>>> Just by curiosity, would it be bad to do something like this
>>> (notice the "newscriptinglang:" in the onload ):

>>> onclick=newscriptinglang:gbar.qs(this) class=gb1>Images</a
>>
>> That onclick handler is a valid JavaScript program,
>> "newscriptlanglang:" is interpreted as a goto label. Whether there
>> is Web content out there accidentally doing that, I don't know.
>
> So i would actually need to look at the event handler code scheme
> before it gets directly passed on to javascript. I could check for
> my scripting language scheme and handle it if needed. I do how see
> this could be a problem if a developer had a goto statement that was
> the same as the name of my scripting language, but the possibility
> of that is very low, for now.

Using a meta keyword to declare the event handler scripting language
globally would not have this problem, or at least it would be much
less likely. It would also make event listeners using your scripting
language look nicer. So I continue to recommend that approach. Up to
you though.

Regards,
Maciej