[webkit-dev] WebKit revision number to build number tool

Mark Rowe mrowe at apple.com
Sun Oct 18 16:38:28 PDT 2009

On 2009-10-18, at 16:14, Erik Arvidsson wrote:

> I wrote a simple tool that allows me to quickly look up the WebKit
> build number based on an SVN revision number.
>
> http://webkit-util.appspot.com/rev/
> http://webkit-util.appspot.com/rev/45980
>
> I wrote this mainly so I could figure out what WebKit build number to
> check for in our JS library when a WebKit bug was fixed.
>
> I hope other people might find this useful.

It looks like it could be useful, but it has a number of problems that would make me wary of relying too heavily on it.

For starters, the WebCore version is not exposed to web content at all so it does not make sense to use WebCore's version number for this.  The WebKit version would be a more appropriate number to use.

It also presents misleading results.  It can report changes as being available much later than they actually were, such as in the case of r45979 which it reports as being fixed in 532.1 when in reality this fix first shipped as part of Safari 4.0.3 in WebKit x531.6.  This could pose problems if the results of the tool are used for workarounds in situations where the fix causes the workaround to not function as expected.

A worse case is when the tool reports issues as being fixed earlier than they actually were, as is the case with r45712.  The tool reports this as being fixed in 531.5 when in reality that version does not contain that fix.

It presumably also doesn't consider the case where changes are later rolled out.

- Mark