[webkit-dev] style-queue entering beta

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Sun Nov 29 09:35:05 PST 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 9:26 AM, Chris Jerdonek
<chris.jerdonek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 28, 2009,  Adam Barth wrote:
>> A1: Unfortunately, no.  First of all, check-webkit-style has false
>> negatives.
>
> It seems like this answers the different question, "If the style-queue
> complains, does that mean my patch has incorrect style?"

Yes, that too.  I would call that a false positive, but you're right
that check-webkit-style probably has both kinds of bugs.

>> Hopefully, the script will improve over time, but it will
>> never be perfect.
>
> Can you elaborate on this?  For example, are you saying there is a
> basic reason that the script will always have bugs?  Without knowing
> too much about the script, it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to at
> least make the false negatives go away.  Or are you simply saying that
> the guidelines and script will never fully capture what we mean by
> "correct style"?

Does this mean you're volunteering to remove all the false positives
and false negatives?  :)

One basic reason the script isn't perfect is that it's doesn't have a
full C++ / Objective-C++ parser.  I think it uses regular expressions.
 Anyway, I just wanted to set expectations that the tool might not be
perfect.

Adam