[webkit-dev] style-queue entering beta

Chris Jerdonek chris.jerdonek at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 09:26:49 PST 2009

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009,  Adam Barth wrote:

> One of the bots that Eric and I have been working on is about to come
> online.  This bot is a "style bot" that runs check-webkit-style on
> patches that have been nominated for review.

This seems like a good effort, thanks.  A couple minor comments below
on the first question in your FAQ:

> == Frequently Asked Questions ==
>
> Q1: If the style-queue doesn't complain, does that mean my patch has
> correct style?
>
> A1: Unfortunately, no.  First of all, check-webkit-style has false
> negatives.

It seems like this answers the different question, "If the style-queue
complains, does that mean my patch has incorrect style?"

> Hopefully, the script will improve over time, but it will
> never be perfect.

Can you elaborate on this?  For example, are you saying there is a
basic reason that the script will always have bugs?  Without knowing
too much about the script, it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to at
least make the false negatives go away.  Or are you simply saying that
the guidelines and script will never fully capture what we mean by
"correct style"?

> Second, the style-queue is only able to check
> patches that successfully download and apply to top-of-tree.  If your
> patch does not apply to top-of-tree (e.g., because it depends on
> another patch), then style-queue won't say anything.

Thanks,
--Chris