[webkit-dev] Staging WebSocket protocol deployment

Alexey Proskuryakov ap at webkit.org
Fri Nov 13 10:03:29 PST 2009

While WebSocket API is fairly stable, the discussion of underlying
protocol at IETF is far from being done. It could be disruptive to
ship our WebSocket implementation in a way that would effectively
freeze the protocol.

One way to achieve future compatibility is by using a different scheme
for WebSocket URLs - e.g. "webkit-ws:" and "webkit-wss:" instead of
"ws:" and "wss:", respectively. Depending on how protocol
standardization goes, we could alias these later, or add a separate
standards compliant implementation.

I'm going to submit a patch to this effect, but would like to discuss
the idea on the list first.

- WBR, Alexey Proskuryakov