[webkit-dev] A bot-filled future?

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Thu Nov 12 13:43:31 PST 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Mark Rowe <mrowe at apple.com> wrote:
> On 2009-11-12, at 11:37, Adam Barth wrote:
>> 1) Contributor posts patch for review.
>> 2) Committer marks patch with the try? flag.
>> 3) The try-queue downloads, applies, builds, and tests the patch.
>> 4) If all systems are go, the try-queue marks the patch as try+.
>> Otherwise, it marks the patch as try- with an explanation of what went
>> wrong.
>
> I have a few comments / questions about this:

I suspected you might, hence the post to this list.  :)

> 1) People are already confused about how to handle the recently-added commit-queue flag.  Adding an extra flag is going to increase the confusion.

Do you have other ideas about how to present the information?  We want
to make the information easily available to reviewers when they're
reviewing patches.

> 2) What machines are going to be doing these tests, and on which platforms?

I was going to start by running the try-queue on a Mac laptop I don't
use very often.  If/when we want to expand coverage to other
platforms, we can worry about where to get more machines.  Ultimately,
machines are much cheaper than people.  I'm not worried about finding
hardware.

> 3) Which patches would this test?  Running tests on an arbitrary patch uploaded in Bugzilla opens up the testing machine to executing arbitrary code unless there are limitations in place.

My plan what to require a committer to sign-off on the patch (e.g., by
setting the flag), the same way we require a committer to sign off for
running the commit-queue or the build-bot.

Adam