[webkit-dev] AppCache class naming (WAS Re: SharedWorkers alternate design)

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Fri May 29 13:03:56 PDT 2009

On May 29, 2009, at 12:10 PM, Michael Nordman wrote:

> Frontend/Backend was my first choice too... based on how we ended up
> discussing the split of things, seemed natural... maciej wasn't too
> keen on that thou...
>
> @Maciej, any strong objections or opinions?

I still think we should avoid using such ambiguous terms such as
Frontend/Backend. (Also, if we did, they should be spelled as
FrontEnd / BackEnd since in English they are two words.) Just to
demonstrate one way this might be confusing: one might reasonably
assume that in Chrome, the renderer process is the back end, and the
browser process is the front end. But it sounds like the use of your
proposed classes would be opposite of that - the "back end" class
would be used by the "front end" process. I continue to think that
FrontEnd and BackEnd as name distinguishers are about as helpful as
"A" and "B" or "1" and "2". Yes, they do mark the difference, but they
don't really explain what it is.

I can make suggestions in the context of reviewing a patch if you guys
don't want to discuss it any more. I'm not clear enough on how exactly
you split the classes to make a good suggestion.

Regards,
Maciej