[webkit-dev] Notifications API

John Gregg johnnyg at google.com
Fri May 22 10:19:35 PDT 2009

Sure.  We have the following plan for how to handle opt-in:
 - Use of the feature by script, if permission isn't granted to the origin,
should throw an exception, not present permissions UI.  So your insistent
porn site would have no effect on the user.
 - A dialog box asking for permission should only appear in response to a
user gesture like a click.  So in the normal case, an application will
present a user with a link "New: Desktop Calendar Notifications available!
Click here to setup."  And that link will present a prompt from the
user-agent "Do you trust calendar.com?  The site wants to display
notifications on your desktop.  [Yes/No]"  If the user says yes, script
running under that origin will have permission to show desktop
notifications.
- Permission should be removable through a menu which is accessible from the
notification UI itself.

As proposed the permissions policy is somewhat external to WebKit, which
contains the Javascript API layer but not the actual user-visible parts of
the system including UI, permissions flow, and filtering by origin which
will be in Chromium or another user agent.

 -John