[webkit-dev] Notifications API

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu May 21 23:39:36 PDT 2009

On Thu, 21 May 2009, John Gregg wrote:

> On the security question, a substantial amount of thought has gone into
> how to prevent unwanted popups (and in general how to control access to
> HTML5 application features).  We think user opt-in on an origin-basis is
> the best policy and it's what we plan to do in Chromium; the WebKit
> interfaces are structured so that the policy is up to the user agent via
> a NotificationProvider interface.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "user opt-in"? A prompt or
"installation" step seems like a poor user experience given that any site
could start asking for this, and we don't want users to click "yes" to
make the message go away (consider a porn site that just does "while
notifications are not allowed, try to notify").