[webkit-dev] Review Queue

Kevin Ollivier kevino at theolliviers.com
Thu May 21 23:28:11 PDT 2009

Hi Eric,

On May 21, 2009, at 9:47 PM, Eric Seidel wrote:

> Interesting analogy.  However, closing means to me that the community
> is done with the bug.  Denying a patch because no one's working on it
> anymore (aka, no one is there to respond to review comments even if
> you make them) is not the same as closing a bug.  There is a
> "forgotten patches" link on the nightly start page iirc which shows
> all the r-'d patches. :)  http://nightly.webkit.org/start/  I've
> certainly looked through that list for patches to finish before.
> Maybe I'm the only one.
>

> Many of the bugs we see languish in the review queue are just too big
> to be easily reviewed.  I don't think we encourage enough decisive
> action from reviewers (like just r-ing a patch because it's too big to
> review).  At least an r- action gives the contributer something more
> than silence. :)
>
> This could of course all be avoided if we got our review queue down to
> something manageable. :)

My issue with this is that doing r- doesn't really solve the problem,
it just makes the patch magically seem to disappear from the review
queue. In general, I think it does make sense to prune really old
patches and bugs periodically, but 2 weeks is way too fast IMHO (and
even 1 month probably), even considering bit rot, and what I don't
understand is why you want to put the burden on patch submitters to
resubmit because their patches aren't getting reviewed? I don't see
how this helps patches to get reviewed; in fact, quite the opposite -
they may magically disappear from the queue on just the day someone
might have decided to check the queue and actually review it.

I do understand the frustration, as I've had my fair share of patches
sit for a while awaiting review, but from what I can tell all your
changes will do is just make it even more work for me to try and get a
review. In addition to going around trying to find someone to review
my patch, now I have to periodically resubmit too. And this gets my
patch reviewed faster how?

I do think there are real issues to be discussed here, and I think
some of the ideas presented in other posts in this thread are worth
taking a look at, but I just feel this approach is more a knee-jerk
reaction rather than a real strategy to fix the review queue problem.

Regards,

Kevin