[webkit-dev] Review Queue

Ojan Vafai ojan at chromium.org
Thu May 21 21:18:09 PDT 2009

It makes no sense to me to r- a patch because reviewers don't have time to
review it. It put incentive in the wrong place. There are other solutions to
this problem that put incentive in the right place (i.e. with reviewers). I
don't necessarily think these are good ideas, but I'll throw them out there.
1. If the review queue gets too large, close the tree to commits until the
queue is at 80% of that too large number.
2. Automate landing commits (e.g. click a button off the commit queue) so
that it's easier to land commits and keep the commit queue small.
3. Give some kind of very visible notice on the waterfall when the review
queue gets too large (e.g. make the background color of the whole page red).
4. Auto-assign reviews that haven't gotten reviewed after two weeks to a
reviewer and have that person be responsible for reviewing it in a timely
manner (this gives personal responsibility over the queue length instead of
the current distributed responsibility).

I'm sure there are a ton of other possible solutions to this problem that
don't punish people sending patches who have little control over this
situation. I imagine doing 3 and 4 would make a significant difference.

Ojan