[webkit-dev] Building QtWebKit on Mac

Brian Ellis phoenix at google.com
Thu May 14 15:51:26 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I've been haunting #webkit and #qtwebkit for a while with this
problem, but it seems to be some kind of tricky configuration issue,
so I thought I might have more luck asking here.

I'm trying to build QtWebKit on a Mac (running 10.5.6) from an
unmodified WebKit trunk working copy.  I have Qt 4.5 installed in the
usual location ('which qmake' returns '/usr/bin/qmake'), and obviously
I have Xcode and friends installed in /Developer as well.

When I run the following command from the root of the WebKit directory:

/WebKitTools/Scripts/build-webkit --qt --release

I get the following output:

> [...]
> thirdparty/WebKit/WebKitBuild/Release/WebKit/qt/tests//qwebframe]
>  Reading /Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/thirdparty/WebKit/WebKit/
> qt/tests/qwebpage/qwebpage.pro [/Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/
> thirdparty/WebKit/WebKitBuild/Release/WebKit/qt/tests//qwebpage]
>  Reading /Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/thirdparty/WebKit/WebKit/
> qt/tests/qwebelement/qwebelement.pro [/Users/phoenix/Source/
> experimental/thirdparty/WebKit/WebKitBuild/Release/WebKit/qt/tests//
> qwebelement]
>  Reading /Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/thirdparty/WebKit/WebKit/
> qt/tests/qwebhistoryinterface/qwebhistoryinterface.pro [/Users/
> phoenix/Source/experimental/thirdparty/WebKit/WebKitBuild/Release/
> WebKit/qt/tests//qwebhistoryinterface]
> WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/
> thirdparty/WebKit/WebKit/qt/tests/qwebframe/tst_qwebframe.xcodeproj'
> WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/
> thirdparty/WebKit/WebKit/qt/tests/qwebpage/tst_qwebpage.xcodeproj'
> WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/
> thirdparty/WebKit/WebKit/qt/tests/qwebelement/
> tst_qwebelement.xcodeproj'
> WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/
> thirdparty/WebKit/WebKit/qt/tests/qwebhistoryinterface/
> tst_qwebhistoryinterface.xcodeproj'
> Reading /Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/thirdparty/WebKit/
> WebKitTools/DumpRenderTree/qt/DumpRenderTree.pro [/Users/phoenix/
> Source/experimental/thirdparty/WebKit/WebKitBuild/Release//
> WebKitTools/DumpRenderTree/qt]
> Project MESSAGE: Building QtWebKit as a framework, as that's how Qt
> was built. You can
> Project MESSAGE: override this by passing CONFIG
> +=webkit_no_framework to build-webkit.
> WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/
> thirdparty/WebKit/WebCore/QtWebKit.xcodeproj'
> WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/
> thirdparty/WebKit/JavaScriptCore/jsc.xcodeproj'
> WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/
> thirdparty/WebKit/WebKit/qt/QtLauncher/QtLauncher.xcodeproj'
> WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/
> thirdparty/WebKit/WebKitTools/DumpRenderTree/qt/
> DumpRenderTree.xcodeproj'
> WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/
> thirdparty/WebKit/WebKit/qt/tests/qwebframe/tst_qwebframe.xcodeproj'
> WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/
> thirdparty/WebKit/WebKit/qt/tests/qwebpage/tst_qwebpage.xcodeproj'
> WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/
> thirdparty/WebKit/WebKit/qt/tests/qwebelement/
> tst_qwebelement.xcodeproj'
> WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/
> thirdparty/WebKit/WebKit/qt/tests/qwebhistoryinterface/
> tst_qwebhistoryinterface.xcodeproj'
> make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

Now, it looks to me like there's some kind of misconfiguration
somewhere in the environment, because that first message it prints
implies that we're passing an unexpectedly empty string to chdir(),
which might be the case if (for example) an environment variable that
was supposed to be set was unset...  and the rest of the output looks
like qmake is generating the wrong kind of makefiles.

Here's all the environment variables that are currently set on my
machine (minus a few irrelevant ones like PATH and PS1):

> MANPATH=/sw/share/man:/usr/share/man:/usr/local/share/man:/usr/X11/
> man:/sw/lib/perl5/5.8.8/man:/usr/X11R6/man
> TERM_PROGRAM=Apple_Terminal
> TERM=xterm-color
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> CLICOLOR=yes
> TMPDIR=/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee++20Hk+-+Yw/-Tmp-/
> PERL5LIB=/sw/lib/perl5:/sw/lib/perl5/darwin
> Apple_PubSub_Socket_Render=/tmp/launch-yX6MS1/Render
> TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION=240
> OLDPWD=/Users/phoenix
> USER=phoenix
> COMMAND_MODE=unix2003
> SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/launch-wDET7O/Listeners
> __CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1024F:0:0
> LSCOLORS=Gxfxcxdxdxegedabagacad
> PWD=/Users/phoenix/Source/experimental/thirdparty/WebKit
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> MAGICK_HOME=/usr/local/ImageMagick-6.3.9
> SHLVL=1
> HOME=/Users/phoenix
> DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/Developer/qt/lib:/usr/local/ImageMagick-6.3.9/lib:
> LOGNAME=phoenix
> INFOPATH=/sw/share/info:/sw/info:/usr/share/info
> DISPLAY=/tmp/launch-m7XEVQ/:0
> _=/usr/bin/env

I'm hoping that someone reading this will have some idea what might be
going wrong.  I'm told a couple of you build QtWebKit on Mac from time
to time, so it would be very helpful to know what your configurations
look like.  I should also mention that I've been having this problem
for over a month now, so it's definitely not related to any changes
that went in in the past few weeks.

Thanks!

Brian Ellis
Software Engineer