[webkit-dev] WebKit resource caching

Javed Rabbani jrabbani at gmail.com
Thu May 14 10:47:32 PDT 2009

While looking through the WebKit code, I came across a hard-coded value of 8
MB in file WebCore/loader/Cache.cpp:
static const int cDefaultCacheCapacity = 8192 * 1024;

I just wanted to know what impact does this value has on the WebKit resource
caching behavior. What would happen if I reduce this value to a much smaller
value? This value of 8 MB is quite big especially if WebKit is running on an
embedded platform with limited resources. There are other caches in the
WebKit like pageCache and fontCache. Is it possible to disable the caching
behavior of WebKit so that no caching should take place at all during
run-time? Any guidance on this front will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,
Javed