[webkit-dev] squirrelfish-bytecode

Rob Kroeger rjkroege at liqui.org
Wed May 13 12:13:03 PDT 2009

Hi,

On Wednesday, May 13, 2009, Jeremy Orlow <jorlow at chromium.org> wrote:
> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 1:11 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:
>

> On May 13, 2009, at 12:18 AM, Meryl Silverburgh wrote:
>

> Hi,
>
> Does webkit cache squirrelfish bytecode? For example, multiple can use
> the same javascript file (e.g. common javascript libraries, like
> jquery, or same domain uses some common javascript file across
> different pages for the same domain).
>
> When webkit parses the JS file and builds squirrelfish-bytecode,  does
> it cache it ? so that subsequence loading of the same js file will
> skip the js compile process?
>

> We don't currently cache the bytecode (or the native code). It is an option we have considered, however, currently, code generation is a trivial portion of JS execution time (< 2%), so we're not pursuing this at the moment.
>

> What does the < 2% number reflect?  The percent of time while running a particular benchmark or something?
> I totally believe that the speed of runtime is not really affected by it, but what about page load latency?  Compile time is a non-trivial component of load time for most JIT compilers I've heard of.

[Speaking from the point of view of my day job working on Mobile Gmail
instead of occasional evening webkit hacker]

Performance tests on mobile gmail for iPhone show that the time from
completion of executing the "static" JavaScript (function and variable
definitions) occupies a large portion of the application startup time.
Somehow speeding this up (caching the parsed and compiled version of
JavaScript stored in AppCache maybe?) would be a huge benefit to
complex web applications.

Rob.

--
Rob Kroeger