[webkit-dev] squirrelfish-bytecode

Jeremy Orlow jorlow at chromium.org
Wed May 13 11:41:32 PDT 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 1:11 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> On May 13, 2009, at 12:18 AM, Meryl Silverburgh wrote:
>
>  Hi,
>>
>> Does webkit cache squirrelfish bytecode? For example, multiple can use
>> the same javascript file (e.g. common javascript libraries, like
>> jquery, or same domain uses some common javascript file across
>> different pages for the same domain).
>>
>> When webkit parses the JS file and builds squirrelfish-bytecode,  does
>> it cache it ? so that subsequence loading of the same js file will
>> skip the js compile process?
>>

> We don't currently cache the bytecode (or the native code). It is an option
> we have considered, however, currently, code generation is a trivial portion
> of JS execution time (< 2%), so we're not pursuing this at the moment.

What does the < 2% number reflect?  The percent of time while running a
particular benchmark or something?

I totally believe that the speed of runtime is not really affected by it,
but what about page load latency?  Compile time is a non-trivial component
of load time for most JIT compilers I've heard of.