[webkit-dev] Data transfer from the network backend

Julien Chaffraix julien.chaffraix at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 02:55:26 PDT 2009

Hi,

[resend - forgot to CC the list]

> Where is the data fetched by the network backend being used to first
> instantiate the data structures that are need for rendering?
>
> Can you tell me with respect to Qt or GTK+curl?

There is quite a long way from the network backend to the rendering.

The short version is: when the network backend receives data, it calls
ResourceHandleClient::didReceiveData (you can grep for this method in
the ports to see where data is received), which will call back the
loader. The loader mechanics will call the appropriate class to parse
the data. While parsing, the data go through the attachment process
which will build the render tree using the CSS information (if you are
interested in this phase, have a look at
http://webkit.org/blog/114/webcore-rendering-i-the-basics/ which
details a bit more the attachment and the rendering part).

Regards,
Julien