[webkit-dev] Media Codec

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Tue Mar 10 22:26:38 PDT 2009

On Mar 10, 2009, at 1:26 PM, Chen Kwan-MGIA0013 wrote:

> I'm new to WebKit. I'm trying to understand how video/audio codec's
> can be incorporated or plugged into the platform but didn't have
> much success. I wonder if anyone can answer my questions and/or
> provide the pointers for detail info.

The video and audio elements use back ends called media engines,
represented by the MediaPlayer class. At the moment, there are
implementations of media player for the Mac OS X QuickTime QTKit
framework, the GStreamer system for GTK, QuickTime on Windows, Phonon
for Qt, and a media player interface specific to Chromium. Each of
these media systems has its own system for managing codecs.

     -- Darin