[webkit-dev] MSVS vcproj

Adam Roben aroben at apple.com
Mon Jun 29 07:02:24 PDT 2009

On Jun 29, 2009, at 4:57 AM, Seo K wrote:

> I see many build fixes related to MSVS project files in svn
> repository history. I think it is a very error-prone process to
> maintain MSVC project files manually because MSVS project files are
> auto-generated and are not meant to be edited by hands. Don't you
> have any plan to change it to use a script to generate MSVC project
> files as GYP in Chrome does?

We don't have any plans to switch to using GYP (or a comparable
system) on Windows currently. It's true that some parts of the .vcproj
files are hard to edit by hand (e.g., the pre- and post-build event
commands). But it's actually easier to add/remove source files from
them than it is to do the same to an Xcode project. I guess your
argument applies to Xcode project files, too.

If you think something like GYP would be a good solution for WebKit,
it would be helpful for you to provide an overview of how the system
works and how using it would make things easier for WebKit developers.

-Adam