[webkit-dev] what's important in layouttests?

Oliver Hunt oliver at apple.com
Thu Jun 25 20:04:06 PDT 2009

Hi Dave,
On Jun 25, 2009, at 7:54 PM, David Jones wrote:

> I am confused about webkit's layouttests.
> 1.What's the layouttess used for? Are they provided only for
> developers who want to create a browser with webkit to test if their
> browser behaves right?
The (increasing inaccurately named) LayoutTests directory contains
most of the regression tests used to try to ensure that no knew patch
breaks any existing functionality.  Every bug fix adds a new test so
that the bug being fixed doesn't get reintroduced later.

> 2.The layouttests use Safari to run all the tests, right?
No.  The layout tests are run under the (also increasingly miss named)
DumpRenderTree harness.  Basically this is a per-platform application
that embeds a webview with a set of additional APIs added to the DOM
to improve our ability to test behaviour.

> 3.I noticed some tests need an app server, how do they start one?
The http test directory requires a web server (i *think* apache), the
run-webkit-tests script details at http://webkit.org/quality/testing.html
  will launch a new apache instance with all the correct parameters
and settings required to get the correct behaviour.

> 4.Is layouttest only for Leopard? If I want to take it into my
> project, what should I do?
The test suite is for webkit across all platforms.  Some test do
produce different output across platforms (particularly the pixel
tests) but in general we try to ensure that the same test results are
valid across all platforms and webkit ports.

Hope this helps

--Oliver