[webkit-dev] Testing worker lifecycle

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Thu Jun 25 14:33:06 PDT 2009

On Jun 25, 2009, at 2:27 PM, Drew Wilson wrote:

> (resending to a wider audience - apologies to those of you who
> receive this twice)
> Hi all,
>
> The HTML5 worker spec has changed significantly from its earlier
> incarnations, in that it's no longer externally visible whether a
> given worker thread has shut down or not (there are no more close
> events surfaced on the Worker).

What's the motivation for this particular change?

> This means that there's not currently a good way to write tests to
> verify that workers are actually shutting down when they are
> unreachable/idle. Do you guys have any ideas about how to address
> this?

One obvious way would be to add a nonstandard equivalent to the
"close" event ("webkitClose"). The downside is that this would be
exposed to Web content.

> One idea I had would be to expose a WorkerController for layout
> tests, similar to GCController - the WorkerController could expose a
> numWorkers attribute which is incremented/decremented as worker
> threads startup/exit. I haven't started looking into how this would
> be done, but I figured I'd ask you guys if this was a good approach
> or if there's a cleaner way to test these cases.

That's also possible, the downside of this approach would be that the
tests wouldn't work in a normal browser that doesn't have the special
DumpRenderTree APIs.

  - Maciej