[webkit-dev] Testing worker lifecycle

Drew Wilson atwilson at google.com
Thu Jun 25 14:27:14 PDT 2009

(resending to a wider audience - apologies to those of you who receive this
twice)
Hi all,
The HTML5 worker spec has changed significantly from its earlier
incarnations, in that it's no longer externally visible whether a given
worker thread has shut down or not (there are no more close events surfaced
on the Worker).

This means that there's not currently a good way to write tests to verify
that workers are actually shutting down when they are unreachable/idle. Do
you guys have any ideas about how to address this?

One idea I had would be to expose a WorkerController for layout tests,
similar to GCController - the WorkerController could expose a numWorkers
attribute which is incremented/decremented as worker threads startup/exit. I
haven't started looking into how this would be done, but I figured I'd ask
you guys if this was a good approach or if there's a cleaner way to test
these cases.

-atw