[webkit-dev] MIPS port problem - cti_op_put_by_id slow case problem

Adam Treat treat at kde.org
Wed Jun 17 15:24:32 PDT 2009

On Wednesday 17 June 2009 05:12:41 pm Jeremy Orlow wrote:
> If so, why not just develop in the open?

I'm just guessing here... but probably for the same rough combination of
reasons that Google didn't develop Chromium in the open before it was publicly
announced... or for the same rough combination of reasons that Apple didn't
develop the new ARM JIT support in the open before it was publicly announced.

Same goes for lots of initial features or ports that the various companies
involved in WebKit have eventually contributed.

It would be nice if every change that is envisioned will eventually be merged
back into the official repository to be developed in the open, but that is just
not realistic given the commercial world we live in.

That said, if a company is determined to initially develop such things behind
a closed door, then they should have no expectation that the greater community
will help with any obfuscated technical questions given that we aren't privy
to what's going on behind that closed door.  At least that's how I see it.

Cheers,
Adam