[webkit-dev] to reitveld or not to reitveld

Jeremy Orlow jorlow at chromium.org
Thu Jun 11 17:19:08 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 4:50 PM, Joe Mason <joe.mason at torchmobile.com>wrote:

> Mark Rowe wrote:
>

>> On 2009-06-11, at 15:16, Ojan Vafai wrote:
>>
>>  On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 7:14 PM, Ojan Vafai <ojan at google.com <mailto:
>>> ojan at google.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>    On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 7:51 AM, Mark Rowe <mrowe at apple.com
>>>    <mailto:mrowe at apple.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>        There are also concerns about access to the data store of the
>>>        application, backup procedures, etc.  Our existing servers
>>>        are well understood in this regard.   We've also found in the
>>>        past that having services spread across different systems
>>>        causes confusion when something goes wrong, for whatever
>>>        reason, as it's not clear who to contact to address the problem.
>>>

>>>    For what it's worth, we've had next to zero maintenance effort go
>>>    into keeping rietveld running on appengine. As far as I know,
>>>    it's been pretty much stable and problem free. But I don't
>>>    actually maintain it, so I can't say that for sure. :)
>>>
>>> It seems to me that all the issues raised with using reitveld are
>>> solvable. Assuming you all are OK with doing this iteratively instead of
>>> needing all the issues to be resolved on day one, I think we can probably
>>> start taking concrete steps forward.
>>>

>> Given what has been said so far I'm still not clear why Rietvald is a
>> better option than Review Board.
>>
> Well, I haven't heard anything concrete on why Review Board is better than
> rveld, either.  All I've seen are some posts saying, "You know, Review Board
> exists too." Is the UI better?  Is the architecture better?  Is the design
> very different?  Is it easier to integrate with git?  Exactly how much work
> is involved in hosting each of these solutions?  The only thing concrete
> I've seen is that Review Board is self-hosting, while rveld is tied to
> AppEngine.

...and there's some that you could run rietveld without AppEngine
infastructure if necessary.

FWIW, another project I (used to) work on tried Review Board out about a
year ago.  We found it to be pretty clunky, so we continued just doing code
reviews via diffs in email.  Maybe it's improved since then.  Either way, I
believe the team is now using Rietveld for large reviews.