[webkit-dev] arm jit

Oliver Hunt oliver at apple.com
Wed Jun 10 14:03:38 PDT 2009

> It would be an interesting experiment to compile functions at
> creation time instead of call time, and see if things got faster.
> I'd love to hear your results, if you try it.
>
> I doubt that eager compilation would be a good strategy for the web,
> though, since web pages tend to load very large libraries of
> functions, while only calling a small percentage of those functions.

It could be worth trying a stub function that triggers the compilation
of the function should it not be present, but i'm not sure what that
would really save as we still need the arity checks inline -- i
suppose we could lazily generated trampolines for each arity as needed
and just have many trampolines, but that could be complicated, and
care would be needed to ensure that changing the code pointer didn't
result in either incorrectly invalidating the caching or result in
incorrectly caching the trampoline address instead of the real
function code.

--Oliver