[webkit-dev] arm jit

Holger Freyther zecke at selfish.org
Tue Jun 9 17:20:45 PDT 2009

On Tuesday 09 June 2009 23:38:43 Akos Kiss wrote:
> Dear Community,
>
> Today, we realized that there is a new ARM JIT port for WebKit.
> (http://trac.webkit.org/changeset/44514) Congratulations on getting this
> working!, great job.
>
> I cannot conceal how disappointed I am, as is the whole team at Szeged.

I can understand how bad you feel and I agree that "Apple does not comment on
future products."-mantra can suck at times. When you look at the ARM JIT of
Apple you will see they mostly target Cortex-A8 (thumb2, vfp) and IIRC your
JIT is much wider (supporting many more existing devices).

So my bottom line is something like please don't give up, and contributing to
the JIT should be more easy now. E.g. pick a topic/theme for your work and try
to get it in.

I can not share that WebKit is not a open community. Of course there are
vendor interests and Apple, Nokia and Torchmobile don't share some of them.
E.g. Apple probably does not see the value of XHTML MP, ECMA MP and WML and
still these changes go on...

z.