[webkit-dev] Proposal about integer types used in WebKit

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Sat Jul 25 21:10:10 PDT 2009

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 5:59 PM, James Cloos <cloos at jhcloos.com> wrote:

> Do note that, pedantically speaking, int32_t is not required to be 32
> bits long, just long enough to store any value which could be stored in
> a 32 bit integer.  Ie, it is perfectly acceptable for an arch to use a
> 64 bit integer for int32_t.  Or a 48 bit integer.  Or 36.   Plus, the
> storage can have additional padding bits beyond the bits which can be
> seen from C/C++/etc.

I think you are thinking of int_least32_t.  While I don't have a copy of C99
handy, a 1998 draft of it I found online says in section 7.8.1.1 that
int32_t (and family) are exact-width types, and may not be available if an
implementation cannot provide them, while int_least32_t (and family) are
guaranteed to be available, and have at least the specified size.

PK