[webkit-dev] Reformatting-only patches being applied to trunk

Oliver Hunt oliver at apple.com
Sat Jul 25 01:08:58 PDT 2009

I've just noticed that there have been a few purely style related
patches being landed in the tree recently, I don't believe these are a
good idea and that any further reformatting only patches be rejected.

Historically we have avoided purely style related changes as they
impact our ability to track code changes efficiently and make patch
merging more complex. The general approach to code cleanup is to clean
up regions of code as we work in them -- this means that more-or-less
the only code effected by reformatting is code that was being modified
anyway.

Does anyone disagree with this approach?

--Oliver