[webkit-dev] incompatibility between DOM spec (IDL) and c-based (gobject) language bindings

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 23 09:31:32 PDT 2009

On 7/23/09, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

>  Responding to review comments should be done in the relevant bugzilla bug,
> not on the mailing list. It's ok to post here if you think an issue needs
> wider input from the community, but that doesn't seem to be the case with
> this issue.

 maciej, thank you for making that point.  i'm going to do a rusty
"7fs" russell and rewrite what you've said so that i can respond to
it.

 "We generally have a policy of keeping responses to review comments
 in the relevant bugzilla bug, not on the mailing list, as you can see from
 the guidelines [insert URL here].
 It's ok to post here if you think an issue needs
 wider input from the community.  i was curious as to why you
 felt the need to make this post to the mailing list, because
 doesn't seem to be the case with this issue."

ok - now we have something that can be responded to.

On 7/23/09, after reconsidering matters carefully and rewriting them,
Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

>  We generally have a policy of keeping responses to review comments
> in the relevant bugzilla bug, not on the mailing list, as you can see from
> the guidelines [insert URL here].

 ah, sorry.  the issue raised by mark had only a passing reference to
the bug report, and was a more generic and wider matter that did not
fit in with the bugreport, and had nothing to do with the subject line
of the bug  so, yes, i thought it best to raise it here.

> It's ok to post here if you think an issue needs
> wider input from the community.  i was curious as to why you
> felt the need to make this post to the mailing list, because
> doesn't seem to be the case with this issue.

 there are absolutely loads of reasons.

1) so that people could find it, and discuss it.

2)  in keeping the matter "locked up" in the bugreport, it risked
becoming a discussion which nobody could find, not for love nor money,
even if they wanted to contribute to it, or if they knew that it might
affect their project adversely.

 so, out of a sense of responsibility and duty to the free software
community that i serve i thought it best to raise this with a wider
audience.

3) i appreciate that technical matters _should_ be discussed in
bugreports - if relevant - however on strategic design decisions i
felt that it would be more appropriate to discuss it here.

4) the sheer number of related and affected bugreports makes it ....
awkward to "contain" the discussion to a single bugreport.  the list
of related bugs is #16401, #27410, #27423 through to #27437 (excluding
#27434)

5) the discussions run to close to 300 comments, now, in #16401, with
absolutely no search capabilities or useful archiving.  to continue to
use that as the "parent" bugreport would simply result in the
discussion being utterly lost.

i trust that this comprehensive answer illustrates to you that it was,
although extremely quick, not without sound reasons that i chose to
raise this matter on the lists, and i trust that you will in future do
myself and others on this list the courtesy of not make it necessary
for me to spend considerable time explaining and justifying my actions
and decisions.

thank you.

l.