[webkit-dev] Build File Maintenance (was Re: Please welcome GYP to the our dysfunctional build family)

Brent Fulgham bfulgham at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 11:20:00 PDT 2009

Hi,

> Kevin Ollivier wrote:
>> I'd be interested to know what limitations you guys ran into when trying to
>> use SCons for this sort of thing.
>
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Mark Mentovai<mark at chromium.org> wrote:
> The SCons input language is too "free-form" to be easily shoehorned
> into things like Xcode and Visual Studio projects.

The thing that worries me about this latest push to add GYP is that
there was much Google enthusiasm for the SCons stuff six months or so
ago, and SCons stuff started landing in the tree, and now that's all
been tossed away (apparently for performance reasons).

Do we feel that GYP is finally the right tool?

-Brent