[webkit-dev] Build File Maintenance (was Re: Please welcome GYP to the our dysfunctional build family)

Mark Mentovai mark at chromium.org
Tue Jul 14 11:04:42 PDT 2009

Kevin Ollivier wrote:
> I'd be interested to know what limitations you guys ran into when trying to
> use SCons for this sort of thing.

The SCons input language is too "free-form" to be easily shoehorned
into things like Xcode and Visual Studio projects.

SCons is flexible enough that mapping its input language, and all of
the logic that its input might contain, to just about anything else
would have been an incredibly difficult task.  For anything more
involved than "compile these files and produce a library or
executable," with SCons, we would have needed to produce project files
that weren't strictly native.  The project files would have had to
have contained instructions to call SCons to perform the actual build.
 We sought a greater level of native tool integration.

Mark