[webkit-dev] S60WebKit MIME type question

Jack Wootton jackwootton at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 05:46:01 PDT 2009

If a browser finds a MIME type it cannot display (for example from an
<embed> or <object> tag) then is will iterate through available
plugins and load the plugin which handles that MIME type.

Regarding camera on S60, you may want to take a look at:

Nokia hvave released a beta version of the their new "Platform
Services" (JavaScript API to you and me), this includes a camera API
(the download includes a sis file which adds the new api to the
device, but it also comes with a JavaScript library which allows
pictures to be taken using the camera app and displayed using
JavaScript).  There are also sample widgets which use the camera API.

http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.nokia.com/id/cccea743-f4e5-418f-ad9f-0a7a7f50868f/Nokia_Platform_Services_2_0.html

For something which isn't in beta, Nokia provide a JavaScript API for
launching 3rd party applications (you just supply the UID of the app
you wish to launch - I don't know how you can transfer data from the
app to the webkit environment though).  The API is part of Nokia's Web
Developer Library found here:

http://library.forum.nokia.com/index.jsp?topic=/Web_Developers_Library/GUID-4D13AF3F-4733-44E7-996F-F27A11C9D6BF_cover.html

You want to look at Web Developer's Library 1.7 > Web Runtime widgets
> Developing widgets > Web Runtime API reference > JavaScript Service
API reference

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 1:21 PM, Sam Critchley<scritchley at gypsii.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Apologies for the very basic question, but I'm trying to find out how you
> can use custom MIME types in WebKit on S60 (3rd and 5th editions). We're
> looking at doing something like triggering the S60 camera app using a camera
> button in a web form (which is accessed in an app using Webkit for content
> display), take a picture, insert it into the form, and POST it to the
> website. Can anyone point me to information on how/whether we could do this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sam

> Sam Critchley
> VP, Products and Co-Founder