[webkit-dev] Please welcome GYP to the our dysfunctional build family

Adam Treat treat at kde.org
Sun Jul 12 05:38:10 PDT 2009

On Friday 10 July 2009 12:23:50 am Dimitri Glazkov wrote:
> Dear WebKiteurs,
>
> In our persisting quest to be more like a common WebKit port, we have
> added Chromium build files to the tree this afternoon. These files are
> WebCore/WebCore.gypi and JavaScriptCore/JavaScriptCore.gypi and they
> are the GYP include files. As you may know, we use GYP
> (http://code.google.com/p/gyp) for generating MSVC, XCode, Scons, and
> even Make projects for Chromium.
>
> We are rather fond of GYP. Perhaps it is because it allows us to
> maintain one set of project files for all three Chromium platforms;

Gyp sounds remarkably similar to CMake to me.  I've never heard of Gyp before
so I don't know much more about it than what you've said in this email, but
CMake has been around for quite sometime and is in very wide use in the Open
Source community.  Can you say what prompts the use of Gyp over a tool like
CMake?

Cheers,
Adam