[webkit-dev] Please welcome GYP to the our dysfunctional build family

Dimitri Glazkov dglazkov at chromium.org
Fri Jul 10 16:13:18 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Mark Rowe<mrowe at apple.com> wrote:

> When do you plan to land enough of the build system that it can be used to,
> y'know, build something?  It's difficult to evaluate such a system in any
> serious fashion without seeing how it would work with our setup.

We were planning to do this in steps, gypis getting there first so
that we could avoid Chromium breakages due to project file changes.
After that, we were planning to start upstreaming files, associated
with build rules, and eventually moving the whole webkit.gyp. It's a
bit tricky, considering with all this we have to keep a working build
-- kind of like that commercial where they were rebuilding an airplane
while in flight.

The gyp file for webkit currently lives here:
http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome/trunk/src/webkit/webkit.gyp

As you can see, we haven't even switched over to use the gypis --
still trying to manage the fallout of the Widget becoming RefCounted
and roll past 45679.

The best way to test-drive it today would be to check out Chromium
(http://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/MacBuildInstructions) and look
at webkit/webkit.xcodeproj/ as a result. Shouldn't take much time.

:DG<