[webkit-dev] Git Familiarity (was ChangeLog)

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Sun Jul 5 17:15:05 PDT 2009

On Jul 5, 2009, at 5:00 PM, Benjamin Meyer wrote:

>> However, not everyone on the project is comfortable with git (or is
>> willing to give up svn), so I don't see a near-term solution at the
>> moment other than improving the existing tools (prepare-ChangeLog,
>> resolve-ChangeLogs, etc.).
>
> I have heard this for about a year and presumable it has gone down
> over the year so I am curious what percentage of developers use Git
> or more importantly don't know git today.  Both Nokia and
> TorchMobile use Git completely.  Gnome has switch to Git earlier
> this year so presumably the Gtk developers know Git (correct me if I
> am wrong).  Can someone from Apple and Google comment on how much
> Git usage you guys have?  I am curious how close (or far away) we
> are to a tipping point where most of the devs know or are familiar
> with Git.

At Apple, most developers use svn for day-to-day development. Some use
git. Some use git for special projects like branch rebasing, but
otherwise use Subversion for normal development. Some haven't tried
git at all. I don't know the exact proportions, but from looking at
patch files from my colleagues, less then a quarter submit patches
that appear to be generated by git. So far, none of the git users at
Apple have advocated changing over wholesale, though it's possible
they would prefer that but have been reluctant to say so.

I think at some point we need to consider a change in version control
system. I would like us to work on the bug tracker and patch review
system first, to avoid making too many tools changes at once, and
because that issue seems to be more urgent and disruptive of workflow.
I'm whipping up an email on what I think are the right short-term and
medium-term steps. Once we have that well in hand, then revision
control and build system would probably be the next things to review
for change.

Regards,
Maciej