[webkit-dev] ChangeLog

David Kilzer ddkilzer at webkit.org
Fri Jul 3 16:40:42 PDT 2009

On Friday, July 3, 2009 1:01:33 PM, Joe Mason wrote:

> Even if sticking with svn, you just need to run svn2cl once when
> you update to  get a local copy of the changelog.

If each developer had to run that command to get a local changelog, I can't imagine the svn server would be very responsive if two or more people ran it at the same time.

Also, if you're already disconnected from the network, it's "too late" to run svn2cl if you want the full history.

--

Personally, I think git is the long-term solution since (a) git-format-patch includes the commit log comments in the patch format, which makes them easily reviewable and (b) it operates in an off-line mode making not only the log comments but the full repository history available.

However, not everyone on the project is comfortable with git (or is willing to give up svn), so I don't see a near-term solution at the moment other than improving the existing tools (prepare-ChangeLog, resolve-ChangeLogs, etc.).

Finally, I should note that I've found the detailed ChangeLogs created by prepare-ChangeLog--and written with the correct level of detail--to be extremely valuable in the past, especially when merging commits to a port.  I don't think these should ever go away.

Dave