[webkit-dev] Build problems

Brent Fulgham bfulgham at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 09:02:29 PST 2009

Hi Frank,

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 6:08 AM, Frank Thomsen <fth at trifork.com> wrote:

> Grammar.cpp
>
> c1xx : fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file:
> '..\..\..\webkitbuild\obj\javascriptcore\derivedsources\Grammar.cpp': No
> such file or directory

This is telling you that the auto-generated files (specifically,
Grammar.cpp) was not found.  This is usually due to a build
configuration problem, though your Cygwin setup seems a little weird.

My guess is that JavaScriptCoreGenerated actually failed (perhaps
silently?) and this is just a by-product of that failure.

> First of all I have installed cygwin in "c:\cygwin" and I have
> "C:\cygwin\obj\JavaScriptCore\DerivedSources\" (where grammar.cpp is
> located) in my include-path. So what is wrong, and why does it keep warning
> me about the env. Variable PRODUCTION? I have declared it but what is the
> value of it supposed to be?

The fact that it is placing the "obj" directory hierarchy in your root
Cygwin directory makes it sound like you have a very unusual build
configuration.  Generally the home directory of the user has a
sub-directory holding the WebKit sources, with a build output
directory specified by the WEBKITOUTPUTDIR environment variable.
Since this is somehow landing in your root Cygwin directory, I suspect
you did not set this variable (as outlined in the instructions) and so
it is defaulting to the Cygwin root directory.

Please do have a look at http://webkit.org/building/build.html, where
I previously added some stronger language about the WEBKITOUTPUTDIR
environment variable based on similar problems other users encountered
when attempting to build.

The other common source of problems is not using the WebKit Cygwin
installation (see http://webkit.org/building/tools.html), as it
ensures that you have the necessary build tools installed.  A common
item to be missing is the gperf utility.

I think if you double-check these items your build will go much more smoothly.

Good luck!

-Brent