[webkit-dev] Should we put the webkit.org mailing lists on Gmane?

Adam Roben aroben at apple.com
Tue Dec 15 07:01:02 PST 2009

On Dec 14, 2009, at 10:09 PM, David Kilzer wrote:

> On Mon, December 14, 2009 at 6:47:50 PM, Adam Roben wrote:
>
>> On Jun 13, 2009, at 9:00 AM, Adam Roben wrote:
>>
>>> I think it would be good to put our mailing lists on Gmane (including
>> importing the archives of the lists).
>>
>> The lists are now all on Gmane. Archives for the newer lists have not been
>> imported, but Gmane already has data going back to July 2009. The newsgroups all
>> fall under the "gmane.os.opendarwin.webkit" prefix, to match the
>> already-existing gmane.os.opendarwin.webkit.devel group. The group names (and
>> their equivalent lists.webkit.org lists) are:
>>
>> gmane.os.opendarwin.webkit.
>>    devel (webkit-dev)
>>    gtk (webkit-gtk)
>>    jobs (webkit-jobs)
>>    qt (webkit-qt)
>>    user (webkit-help)
>>
>> ("user" was chosen by the Gmane administrators, presumably to match other
>> projects' groups.)
>

> Can we drop the "os.opendarwin" part?  The project formerly known as opendarwin is mostly (<http://www.opendarwin.org/>) dead.
>
> I think gmane.org.webkit would be better.

In my original proposal to this list [1] and in my subscription request to Gmane, I suggested that the lists be prefixed with gmane.comp.web.webkit., to match other similar projects. But I was told that Gmane groups cannot be renamed, so it seemed best to give all the lists the same (outdated) prefix.

-Adam

1. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.os.opendarwin.webkit.devel/8252/focus=8501