[webkit-dev] bug life cycle questions

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Sun Dec 13 15:06:15 PST 2009

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Chris Jerdonek
<chris.jerdonek at gmail.com> wrote:
> (1) Generally speaking, who has Bugzilla "canconfirm" privileges?

Historically, we've given out canconfirm privileges to folks who make
valuable contributions to the bug database, both in terms of
filing/fixing bugs and triaging existing bugs.  There doesn't appear
to be much process around giving out the privilege.

> (2) When a bug is out of the UNCONFIRMED status, what individuals can
> set the "Assigned To" field?

The Assigned To field is rarely used.  It's most common use is if a
bug is blocked on a specific individual, for example for feedback on a
patch or to land an already reviewed patch.

> (3) Before starting work on an UNCONFIRMED bug, what's the most
> efficient way of getting that bug assigned to you (assuming you do not
> have "canconfirm" privileges, etc)?

Just post a comment on the bug that says you'd like to work on the bug.

> (4) Finally, the bug life cycle page says, "Each bug is initially
> assigned to the person designated as owner of the component."  But
> most new WebKit bugs I see have assignee "webkit-unassigned".  Does
> the WebKit project have a concept of owner or the equivalent?

Nope.  Various folks have expertise in various areas, but there isn't
a concept of module ownership like there is in bugs.mozilla.org.

Adam